Thursday, April 21, 2016

My Only Memory of Prince

I wasn't going to write a blog post today. I'm writing my book over again, and that's enough. But I just heard about Prince's death--the artist known as Prince--and it brought back one memory, which had nothing to do with his music, of which I knew very little about except the song "Purple Rain."

At the end of my sophomore year in college, I stayed on campus an extra week so I could attend graduation. In exchange for being allowed to stay in my dorm room I had to do a certain amount of room cleaning, because the dorms would all be used for alumnae attending reunions the weekend of graduation. Most rooms were empty except for dust bunnies and college-owned furniture. My dorm that year had big double-sided closets with sliding doors in all the rooms. When I went into one room, the closet door was open, one half slid behind the other. Just as an afterthought, as I was leaving the cleaned room, I slid the closet door closed.

Taped to the door, previously obscured but not revealed in all its glory, was a full-sized photographic poster of Prince, naked as the day he was born.

It wasn't all that impressive, if you want the truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments on this blog are now moderated. Yours will appear provided it's not hateful, crass, or annoying--and the definition of those terms is left solely to me.