Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Hating in the Name of Jesus

I got a pretty awful comment on an older post yesterday.  The ironic thing is that was directly responsible for the highest number of hits I've ever had in one day.

Now, I don't mind negative comments.  I express my personal views on this blog and don't expect everyone to agree with me.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that nearly nearly everyone disagrees with me about something.  It's okay.

I was not sure, though, how to handle this particular comment, as it seemed pretty inflammatory.  I'm not  okay with name-calling.  I asked some friends how I should handle it, and in the end decided to let it stand, especially after one of my friends posted a strong rebuttal.

The thing that made me sad was not that the commentor--who I don't know, at least not under the alias used--disagreed with me.  It's not even that the comment was so hateful.  It's that the hate was justified as being a Christian response.  Hating in the name of Jesus.

So this is what I have to say:

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; you works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.  (Psalm 139:13-16)

"The most important [commandment]," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.  Love the Lord our God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"  (Mark 12:29-31)

[Jesus said,] "Do not judge, or you too will be judged.  For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with measure you use, it will be measured to you.  Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" (Matthew 7:2-3)


2 comments:

  1. Some people simply hate what Jesus hates and Jesus hates sin. The Bible lists all kinds of sins, homosexual acts being one of them. I realize it is fruitless to argue with liberals on the issue of sin because the word sin is not in their vocabulary.

    But FYI, excerpts from a news article linked at the bottom:

    John Stemberger, founder of OnMyHonor.Net, a coalition of former Boy Scout leaders and participants, has announced the formation of a new soon-to-be-named scouting organization for young men.

    [Executive director Rob Green] “It’s our vision to be the premier national character development organization for young men, which produces godly and responsible husbands, fathers, and citizens,” Green said to reporters. “The new program will be an exciting and motivating outdoor-based program focused on leadership and character development for boys, and founded on principles and values that reflect a Christian worldview.”

    “In addition, the organization’s membership policy will focus on sexual purity rather than sexual orientation,” he added. “The policy will read, in part: ‘the proper context for sexual relations is only between a man and a woman in the covenant of marriage.’”

    Green also said that the main goal is to keep the politics of sexuality out of the program.
    “The politics that are out there about this issue, that is not something 10-year-old boys are interested in, they are interested in camping and fishing and climbing, canoeing, campfires.”

    He added that a new organization is needed to restore the founding ideals of the Scouts.
    “For 100 years terms like ‘morally straight’ and ‘clean and reverent’ that are in the Boy Scout oath and law were understood from a Christian worldview,” Green said. “The founder of scouting even said ‘scouting is nothing more than applied Christianity.’ So we are trying to restore that ideal.”

    http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/09/boy-scout-defectors-announce-plans-for-a-new-scouting-program/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have gotten so many hits because your blog link was posted on Facebook by someone with 239 FB friends.

    ReplyDelete

The comments on this blog are now moderated. Yours will appear provided it's not hateful, crass, or annoying--and the definition of those terms is left solely to me.